The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Monday, October 31, 2005

Action Alert: Why We Fight-- Alito Edition

Here's the text of my letter on the MoveOn petition. As I stated earlier, I know that both of my senators will vote against Alito. Nevertheless, it is imperative that we make our voices heard. It took me all of five minutes. Surely you can spare that. And even if you don't want to bother writing your own message, you can spare thirty seconds to sign the petition. Do it. Now.

I feel confident that both of Massachusetts' senators will stand against the nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court of the United States. This administration's indifference to the will of the American people is unprecedented, hubristic, and unacceptable.

The appointment to the Supreme Court of a judge with a clear history of opposition to civil rights, a corporatist agenda, and open hostility to the rule of law insofar as it fails to suit a reactionary agenda is an issue that demands the full opposition of the Democratic party. The time for conciliation is over. Under this administration, the Republican party has betrayed everything it once held dear, and acted in ways that are openly hostile to the interests of the American people. The time has come to take a stand, and although the nomination of a jurist like Samuel Alito should not be the last straw for Democrats, it should certainly be seen as a call to arms in defense of the Republic.

I'm no Paine and I'm no Nast, but I try to do my part.