The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Robertson: "By assassinate, all I meant was..."

The douchebaggery never ends in right-wing America. Pat Robertson uses the usual defenses in spinning his comments the other day. Let's take a look...

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP [Associated Press], but that happens all the time," Robertson said on "The 700 Club" program.

Let's see, we have the "Nolo Contextere" plea, a Waffle ('take him out' could mean treat him to dinner and a movie!) a swipe at the "Vast Liberal Media," a factual error (he never said 'special forces' during his murder bit) and a Switcheroo, since that isn't the sentence where he said 'assassination.' This one is:

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it."

How's that for context, you dickhead?

UPDATE: Media Matters points out that Robertson posted a press release on his official site that went up after the interview I cited earlier. What does he have to say now? "
Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

So... he's admitting to have lied earlier this morning? That's three commandments he's broken in three days, by my count, including "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's oil." Oh, and you can add another classic right-wing debate tactic to the list above. This is a classic "I misspoke" moment, guaranteed to follow the Nolo Contextere gambit..