The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Monday, August 22, 2005

Pat Robertson promotes 'assassination for oil'

I've been known to give my posts ironic titles that present comically misleading takes on reactionary policies. Amazingly, this isn't one of them. In a week when Cindy Sheehan is being branded a liar, terrorist sympathizer, etc., "Christian" spokesmonster Pat Robertson has said something that should horrify pretty much everyone. Guess who won't give a damn? (Hint: it isn't liberals.) Please keep in mind that this is one of the most prominent leaders of the Republican base.

Pat Robertson, speaking on The 700 Club: You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if [Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez] thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war. And I don't think any oil shipments will stop.

Surely he's being flippant, right? Four sentences later: We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability.

If anyone would like a friendly wager, I'll bet that at least one right-wing pundit refers to this story as "Robertson against war in Venezuala." I know that none of my readers would be dumb enough to bet against the the right-wing claiming that he was "taken out of context."

Visit the link at Media Matters to see all the context you could want. Just another day in W's America.