The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Why people turn against religion

This is a great post on a blog I'd never seen before. If you're like me (and I know I am), then you started to turn against organized religion in high school. That's when you start adding things up-- and if you had plenty of encounters with intolerant and ignorant fundies, it doesn't take long. I met my share of kind and just religious people, too. But the dogmatists scared me off-- and hey, I'm not gay, Jewish, a minority or anything else they consider evil. Just intellectually curious, like the author of this post. But that was evil enough for them. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that the "bad" students knew more about the Bible than the fundamentalists. Yes, I can quote scripture, too, and there are passages in the Bible that I really enjoy. Nevertheless, I'll side with the so-called bad students every time. Good stuff, folks. Check it out.