The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Saturday, December 10, 2005

America's fighting middle-aged moms

There's a nice post at Eschaton that shows the cavalcade of right-wing hypocrisy over the war and national service even as it suggests that we really aren't making the sort of progress the White House loves to claim.

Item 1: The single mother from Medford has been unexpectedly pulled from the inactive Army reserve and ordered to report for active duty by Feb. 5.

As Christmas nears, Arndt, 43, is trying to sell the Medford home she says she will not be able to keep on an Army salary of approximately $60,000 a year, and is searching for someone to care for her 13-year-old son, Shane. She expects to train for an 18-month tour of duty that could take her to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Item 2: (By National Review right-winger and pro-war hawk Jonah Goldberg)
As for why my sorry a** isn't in the kill zone, lots of people think this is a searingly pertinent question. No answer I could give -- I'm 35 years old, my family couldn't afford the lost income, I have a baby daughter, my a** is, er, sorry, are a few -- ever seem to suffice.

I'm amazed at my own capacity to be astonished by the sort of cowardice and hypocrisy that serves as the foundation for Bush Republicans. Or maybe it's the shock I feel that with sort of thing occurring on a daily basis that we haven't turned the entire Republican party out of power. Yet.