The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Salon kisses Schweitzer butt

And frankly, I don't have a problem with it. I've talked about how much I like Schweitzer myself, and I've said good things about Ed Schultz, too. Both are red-staters, sportsmen, an increasingly popular Democrats. They're also fantastic speakers who do a Truman-esque job of talking straight, talking compassionate, and being utterly unassailable as effete East coast latte swillers. And although I don't think they have the magic formula for helping Democrats back into power, they could do the very great service of returning red-staters back to the Democratic party. Although the right has done a convincing job of portraying Hollywood actor Reagan and New Hampshire rich-kid Bush as downhome guys with a hankerin' for flannel shirts, we're the party of conservation, individual rights, and the working class.

You can see the article above, and it's worth signing on for the one-day free subscription if you aren't familiar with Schweitzer.

I don't think I have any special insight, but I did grow up in the rural midwest and I've been mystified by the GOP's ability to win over my peeps-- even though they inevitably push an agenda that hurts these folks (a la "What's the Matter With Kansas?")