The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Right-wing monkey-doism hits new low.

Yes, I posted about this last week. But that's beside the point. This piece from Salon shows how far beyond the understanding of real Americans the right-wing has passed. And I'm not posting this as a bit of bomb-throwing, but as a failure of the American press to acknowledge the selfless efforts of a caring American citizen who did what she felt was right.

Marla Ruzicka risked and lost her life in a genuine attempt to ensure a better world for citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan. Her death isn't to be exploited, but it should certainly be acknowledged as an example of selflessness and goodwill, bereft of political opportunism.

Even in saying that, I'm cheapening her death, I'm afraid. But that's the mark of a hero-- she didn't seek a spot in the limelight, and she didn't make a big book deal. She just did what she thought was right. And it was only revealed after she tragically passed away.

I won't be citing her name in comparison to the likes of Tom DeLay or Bill Frist. She deserves better, and I hope that she can be lauded in the future as she deserves, without being a pawn of contemporary politics. Yes, there are a dozen ways in which I could publicize her death to promote a liberal agenda, but I prefer to decry anyone who does try to use her life and death to score political points.

I won't say any more than that, because I'd be guilty of politicizing her actions myself, which I fear I've already done in spite of myself.. I'll leave it at this: Ms. Ruzicka, you were a better person than I for living your convictions.

______________________________________________

Here's where it gets ugly, and why it shouldn't be a political issue. Right-wing website Frontpagemag has posted a story suggesting that Ms. Ruzicka was nothing less than a terrorist (link above), and that she got what she deserved. I thought I'd seen it all, but this absolutely makes me ill. For all the right-wing crowing about anti-American liberals, to hear them mocking a woman who lost her life in search of a better world denies everything we stand for as a nation. All of you who consider yourselves Christians should regard this as a call to arms. We're at war, as much as I hate to say it. And the time to fight is now.