The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Hitler: Bring me the pope!

This is weird. Genuinely weird. And it really struck me because I just read something a couple of days ago (I can't remember where it was, so it obviously didn't make much of an impact) about the Vatican's attempts to beatify Pius XII even as more documentary evidence is emerging of his anti-semitic stance during the second World War. John Paul II has been recommending sainthood in record numbers-- to the point where even The Onion wrote a snarky article about it.

The thing is, that article I read was all about how Italian newspapers are criticizing the pope for his admiration of Pius XII. And how the Vatican is on the defensive about the whole affair. If I find it again, I'll update the post. Like I said-- weird.