The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Friday, November 05, 2004

TIME Responds

I've already received a response from the author of the piece. It made me feel a tiny bit better.

Here it is:

Hmmm. I see where the problem arises. If you read closely, I say Bush took the reins of power with the confidence of one elected by a landslide. In other words, what I'm trying bring across, is that despite the weakness of his mandate in 2000, he governed AS IF he'd been elected by a landslide. My point is that he ignored the question of mandate last time in his approach to governing, this time he has an incontrovertible mandate and the question is how will he govern. I guess I should have made more clear what I was trying to say apropos the "landslide" comment.

Thanks for writing

TK
____________________________________________

I expected the 'as if' defense, but that really wasn't my point. I'd hardly expect a journalist to say, "Gee, I'm sorry, that was a mistake." But at least they're listening.