The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Monday, January 08, 2007

Sourdough & Circus

I've never been to California, so my perception is shaped by what I've seen of it on TV and in the movies. That explains why my impression of San Francisco is associated with Steve McQueen in Bullitt, a longtime favorite of mine. Which, in turn, would explain why I'm so puzzled by the longstanding efforts of reactionaries to paint San Francisco as an amalgam of Sodom and Gomorrah, with Nancy Pelosi serving as high priestess.

But the Mysterious Cipher sent me a link to the latest example of right-wing attempts to pitch the equation that Democratic=Pelosi=San Francisco=hippies=communism=guys in leather chaps coming to kidnap your children. Near as I can figure, anyway. Silly, but I guess it works with the GOP voters who brought us six years of deficit spending, war and corruption.

Pelosi%20Banner_0001.jpg