The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mary Cheney to head "Deer for the NRA"

A fair amount of writing has been done on the blogs about Dick Cheney's daughter Mary and her book, in which she unsurprisingly praises her father for his forward-thinking stance on gay rights. I can't really find it in myself to slam her for doing that, in spite of Dick's "I'm for gay marriage, but the prez isn't, so what can I do?" triangulation.

But now she's really pushing the envelope by accusing Democrats of playing politics with the issue. Odd for someone who has a history of appearing at gay Republican events and charging people to have their pictures taken with her. Even more strange given the GOP's frantic rush to get anti-gay initiatives on 2004 election ballots.

Apparently hypocrisy and greed run deep in the family-- not to mention being potty-mouthed.

Cheney saves her harshest words for Bush's 2004 opponents, calling Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry a "son of a bitch'' and his running mate, John Edwards, a "total slime'' for discussing her sexual orientation during nationally televised debates during the campaign....

In her interview with Diane Sawyer, Cheney said of Bush: "I think he's a very good man. On these issues, he hasn't caught up.''

Cheney is less generous to Kerry and Edwards, who she accuses of "sleazy'' politics for mentioning she was gay during debates with Bush and her father.

"John Kerry didn't 'out me', nor did he offend or attack me by calling me a lesbian. It wasn't a secret that I was gay, and I certainly couldn't be offended by the truth,'' she writes. ``What was offensive was that he was obviously trying to use me and my sexual orientation for his own political gain.''

Sitting in the studio audience when Edwards mentioned her sexual orientation, Cheney said she looked at the vice-presidential candidate and mouthed the words"Go F*** Yourself'' a phrase her father had earlier employed against Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy.

No word on whether or not she told dear ol' dad to go fuck himself when he mentioned her sexuality on the campaign trail...