The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Good news from Iraq-- no, seriously!

I'm sure everyone knows this by now, but I'd hate to be accused of ignoring pleasant goings-on in Iraq in favor of sticking to the daily reports of bombings and group killings.

American reporter Jill Carroll was set free Thursday, nearly three months after she was kidnapped in a bloody ambush that killed her translator. She said she had been treated well.

Carroll, 28, was dropped off near offices of the Iraqi Islamic Party. She walked inside, and people there called American officials, Iraqi police said.

“I was treated well, but I don’t know why I was kidnapped,” Carroll said in a brief interview on Baghdad television.

This has been mentioned on every progressive blog I've seen today. But only one site seems to be grousing about Carroll's re-emergence. Which off-the-wall leftie American hater could do such a thing? John Podhoretz of The National Review. Go fig.

It’s wonderful that she’s free, but after watching someone who was a hostage for three months say on television she was well-treated because she wasn’t beaten or killed — while being dressed in the garb of a modest Muslim woman rather than the non-Muslim woman she actually is — I expect there will be some Stockholm Syndrome talk in the coming days.

It really wouldn't have occurred to me that her first move would be to rustle up a belly shirt and thong-baring jeans. I think three months in captivity might inspire me to adopt some camouflage as well. One kidnapping is plenty, thanks.

UPDATE: As you'll see from the Think Progress link above, several other right-wing bloggers have chimed in on the issue-- all focusing on her claim that she had been treated well. I didn't think twice about that statement, except maybe to be happy for her in not having been beaten, starved, or worse. I didn't realize it made her a terrorist sympathizer. How hopelessly naive of me...