The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Saturday, June 25, 2005

YOU'RE the one who's crazy!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not comfortable with psychoanalysis as science. Counseling? Fantastic. Assertions that what you're thinking isn't what you're really thinking? Dubious. Freud, after all, is history (except in literary theory). An academic I admire said to me a few years ago that "the only time Freudian analysis is applicable is when an author was writing under the influence of Freud." But I'm getting off track.

Let me start again: Scientology and Tom Cruise are really, really creepy and unquestionably silly. And forgive me for linking to Drudge. And talking about Hollywood. At least people are finally admitting that fascination with celebrity is a useless pursuit.

TOM CRUISE: Matt. Matt, Matt, you don't even-- you're glib. You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, okay. That's what I've done.

It may be the case that Ritalin is overprescribed and a crutch for lazy parents and underfunded schools. But it's definitely the case that Tom Cruise is an imbecile. And one who should know-- as a grown-up with a brain-- that Scientology-approved statements don't qualify as scientific studies. Dumbass.