The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Free G.I. Cody!

As I like to say, we lefties can always use a laugh these days-- even if it's gallows humor. You might have heard the report that an American GI was being held hostage by Iraqi insurgents. But have you heard the follow-up, from toy manufacturer Dragon Models? The pictures accompanying the article make it pretty clear. Especially the unusually toy-like rifle being pointed at Cody's vinyl head.

This all begs the following question: why are US military bases selling US soldier action figures in the Middle East? I'm all for playing with toys, but for my part I wouldn't be clamoring to buy a lifelike replica of "Frustrated Struggling Grad Student." Except for pointing a gun at his head....