The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Down-home, no-nonsense truth-tellin' from the most genuine guy in Washington...

... would be really nice. However, Bush wasn't offering any. Some choice cuts from today's news conference:

Reporter: Do you think there's a risk of a recession? How do you rate that?

Bush: You know, you need to talk to economists. I think I got a B in Econ 101. I got an A, however, in keeping taxes low and being fiscally responsible[!?!?] with the people's money.
__________________________

Reporter: And what do you think it does to change the dynamic in an already hot region, in terms of Syria and Iran and the dispute with Israel, and whether the U.S. could be drawn into any of this?

Bush: I'm not going to comment on the matter. Would you like another question?

Reporter: Did you support it?

Bush: I'm not going to comment on the matter.

Reporter: Can you comment about your concerns that come out of it at all, for the region?

Bush: No.
___________________________

Reporter: You won't comment on what the Israelis may or may not have done...

Bush: That's an accurate statement. I hope you got that. That's my answer. Of course, now [NBC's David] Gregory's worried I'm actually going to comment, see?

Reporter: That's what I'm hoping.

Bush: Well, I'm not going to so you might want to go to another subject.
___________________________

Reporter: Mr. President, back to the economy for a moment: The Fed took its half-point rate cut the other day. Do you think that was enough to stave off recession? And if not, are there other steps you're prepared to do to make sure?

Bush: I do not comment on the decisions made by the Fed.
__________________________

Reporter: Quick follow up on that?

Bush: Ann?

Reporter: Quick follow if I may, Mr. President?

Bush: No, you may not.

Sure, Fearless Leader could explain his positions and policies so eloquently it would shame Demosthenes. Like how being the most free-spending president in history is "fiscally responsible." But, like every seven year-old who can run the hundred meter dash in under 5 seconds, he just doesn't feel like it.