The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Republican Senator wants Jesus out of politics

I don't want to see the Republican party go down in flames under the weight of their own corruption, double-dealing, fascistic policies and plutocratic machinations. I mean I do want to see it, but I wish I weren't seeing a Republican party that constantly exhibits all of those traits. Which is why I'm always keen to give a great big hand to a Republican like my fellow Missourian John Danforth. It's just a shame that men like him are an endangered species these days.

MARVEL at his honesty! "I am a Republican," he said. "I am a well-established Republican. I am not going to give up on my party. I just want it to get back to its moorings ... I just want them to disengage themselves from the Christian right."

THRILL at his candor! I think right now the problem is with my party, the Republican Party, and its willingness to identify itself with the Christian right. I think this has been a very conscious decision.

GASP at his daring!
For decades, I've been thinking about these two subjects [politics and religion], but not with the urgency of the past year and a half. This was triggered by the Terri Schiavo case; that was the specific tipping point in my own thinking. That was when I thought, "Something has gone very wrong here."

Yes, it's 100% true, folks! Step right up and see the shocking, wonderful Republican freak!