The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The school bus scandal that maybe.... wasn't.

I'm hearing this on the radio, but I'll provide a link when I find one. The photo of swamped school busses in New Orleans was a sad sight. And over the weekend it became the right's favorite bludgeon to attack those "state and local officials." But the city had fewer than three hundred working busses, most workers were off with their own families (school bus drivers, of course, aren't an emergency response team any more than cab drivers), and that FEMA had plans to send in 700 busses. They came through with just 100.

It looks as though this is another right-wing talking point that isn't going to hold up, but I'll update this post as I learn more.

UPDATE: Hearing David Brock interviewed on Al Franken's show today led me to this article from Media Matters that finally puts the kibbosh on the "phantom school bus" story. As far as I'm concerned, case closed.