The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Who's afraid of the bankruptcy bill?

Maybe a whole lot of Republicans. Normally I link to the Free Republic as a demonstration of how out-there Bush fans can be. Then I came across this thread (via Escaton), which is a response to Paul Krugman's recent column on the Bankruptcy Bill-- now set to pass. The column itself is at the top of the page.

Read the column, then look at some of the reactions from the Freepers. Here's a sample:

"I hope the Republicans are pleased with themselves--they are going to pay a huge political price for this down the line."

"Conservatism must mean something more than simply doing what pleases big business."

"I usually disagree with Krugman, and sometimes find him disingenuous and tendentious, but I agree with each and every word he wrote in this Op Ed piece."

Now that's the sort of sense I expect conservatives to talk-- individual rights and reduction of corporate influence in government.