The Daily Sandwich

"We have to learn the lesson that intellectual honesty is fundamental for everything we cherish." -Sir Karl Popper

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

...........................

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Matt Sandwich vs. Marc Maron

There are a couple of reasons that I haven't been posting much lately. I'm not going to use the snow as an excuse, since that doesn't have any impact on sitting on my duff in front of a computer and being a news-hound.

Here's the real reason. I scored a couple of free tickets to see funnyman Marc Maron on Saturday night. As it happened, I wound up sitting on the front row at Jimmy Tingle's Off Broadway to watch the Air America host and veteran comic. I think the show is one of the best in the lineup, and it's been a real trip to see it go from ragtag outfit to slick, sophisticated political show with an all-star guest list (including Bill Clinton and Howard Dean). And the comedy is top-notch.

Anyway, while in the front row in this rather intimate setting, I wound up doing a little talking to Mr. Maron (he was "riffing" with the audience, as he puts it). Long story in the telling, but it was a nice, smart-assed back and forth. He might come across as Woody Allen on meth, but that's just a schtick. He was a genuinely nice guy, eager to chat with folks after the 90-minute(!) show, and willing to pose for photos. I'd post the shot I took with him, but I'd hate to reveal my secret identity-- the Green Goblin would be all over me....

Listen to Morning Sedition. You can get commercial-free installments daily at www.airamericaplace.com. His co-host, Mark Reilly, has become a very sophisticated radio host in his own right. He more than deserves a mention here.

So there's one postscript to this episode. I just listened to the archived show from yesterday (since I'm rarely up and about at 6 a.m.), and he mentioned our exchange on the show. Ha. Give me a few years, folks. I'll meet all the soldiers heading the charge against the GOP.